Email: firstname.lastname@example.org | Cell: 519-708-8578
I am a First Nation person, from the school of “Hard Knocks” driven by commitment, integrity and authenticity to ensure the success of all the work that I facilitate. With over twenty-five years of experience in the world of training, entrepreneurship, mediation, workplace learning/facilitation and coaching. My dynamic “Bad Ass” approach, skills, experience and ability shifts individuals quickly into the space of authentic resolution and profound self-awareness.
I am a strong front-line leader with a win-win attitude. My rigorous commitment, discipline and reliability, combined with my dynamic and inclusive style of communication, have allowed me to work very successfully with diverse groups, their communities and organizations Internationally.
My most powerful learning is from the non-traditional teachings I have acquired over the years. In addition, my life experiences, intuition and ability to deeply connect with people from different walks of life have served my clients well in getting to the root-causes in all the facilitation and mediation work.
I am consistently in touch with who I am, why I do what I do and why it matters. As one of my mentors once said to me: “if you are in the job of service you want to make sure you are doing your own work” – something I have been committed to for over 29 years .
I am the Founder and Senior Director of M. Thorpe & Associates Inc., a company committed to conflict resolution, learning circles and coaching services. I am acutely aware of the need for cultural sensitivity whenever disputes occur between members of different cultures, communities and organizations. In mediation/facilitation, I place true value on humanness, which allows all participants not only to be heard, but also to gain a deeper awareness of fairness, honesty and interpersonal responsibility.
My work has involved working with victims and offenders, unions and management, human rights complainants, federal and provincial courts, hospital staff and management, teachers and students, family and Aboriginal community members; each case posing specific, and in some ways, unique challenges.
I am frequently invited as a special advisor and keynote speaker at various forums and national conferences. Some of the topics include Positive Lifestyle Choices, Embracing and Celebrating Diversity, Power and Freedom Through Story and Stress Management. One of my most exciting keynotes was the very first World Summit of Indigenous Entrepreneurs and the World Mediation Summit in Madrid, Spain.
Formal Learning Accomplishments
- Advanced Mediation (Certificate)-Harvard Law School – Cambridge, Mass – 2015
- Mediation Training (Certificate)-Harvard Law School – Cambridge, Mass – 2003
- Mediation Course – Carleton University, Ottawa, ON- 2008
- Mediation Training-Canadian Human Rights Commission – Vancouver, BC – 2003
- Balanced Lifestyle Program – Correctional Services Canada
- Risk Management – Correctional Services Canada
- Critical Response Training – Correctional Services Canada
- Cross Cultural Training Certificate – Correctional Services Canada, Winnipeg MB
- Personality Types and Behavior
- Ethics 2000 and Beyond (AARSW & CSC Symposium)
- Landmark Education – Completion of Curriculum for Living
- Community Justice Forum Facilitator Training (RCMP), Sherwood Park AB – November 1999
- Lokken Career Training – Entrepreneurship Training Program, Edmonton, AB – 2000
Awards & Recognition
- High Standard of Accomplishment and Appreciation, Commissioner of Correctional Services, Ottawa
- Problem Solver and Team Leader, Ministry of Corrections, British Columbia
- High Standard of Volunteer Service, Ministry of Corrections, Ontario